Friday, January 20, 2012

IKEA Hemnes Night Stand Makeover

I found this on Pinterest and freaked out a little. I liked it so much, I thought I could try my hand at updating my four year old Hemnes night stands from IKEA.


This was a $6 makeover. $5 for a tiny can of stain and $1 for the two foam brushes. I could have used stain and foam brushes that I already had, but I'm pretty sure the stain is in the garage is either a. frozen or b. dried out because I didn't put the lid back on it all the way. And the foam brushes? I know I have some, I just figured it was easier to buy them rather than rummaging through the house. The paint I had on hand.

Before:


After:


And now for staged photos with random props gathered from my house:

Bon Voyage Note Cards - Gift from Ashley
White Ceramic Owl - Gift from my mother
Gray & White Tray - Ikea circa 2010

And check me out. Pizazzing up the insides!

Wrapping Paper cut to size - IKEA circa 2010

You were pretty cute before little thing, but you're fitting the beach cottage chic of my bedroom even better now!


Stain: Minwax Red Oak
Paint: Martha Stewart Driftwood
Both available at Home Depot.

If you're thinking of tackling a small project like this, it's easy! You could get away with purchasing a tester bottle of the Martha Stewart paint for around $3, a small can of stain for $5 and a couple foam brushes (one for the paint, one for the stain). I applied two less than perfect coats of paint with a large foam brush and three coats of stain. I wanted a worn, shabby look, so in between coats I sanded a bit with an ultra fine sanding block I had on hand and rubbed a little stain along the edges of the drawer and door. 

And that's that! Hope you enjoyed!

5 comments:

Ashley said...

It turned out great! And I love the little added touch that the paper inside the cabinet and drawer.

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

great makeover on your little nightstand. You changed the door? It's hinged on the opposite side?
love the white and stain these days.
thanks for sharing at catch as catch can.
gail

Care said...

great job!! oh and your little guy is sooo cute!!

Jessi said...

That turned out great!

Sara K said...

cuuuute! I wish we had an IKEA closer than 5 hours away... boo.