Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Vegan Moroccan Spiced Spaghetti Squash

Fridays are days that I spend with my mom after she gets off work. I've been a slacker and really need to add more family time to my life. We planned a yoga & vegan dinner date this last Friday. It was totally fun.

When I decided I wanted to start incorporating more vegan meals in to my diet, spaghetti squash was the first thing to come to mind that I hadn't tried yet. I don't quite know how I stumbled upon this recipe, but I do know I found it one late night at work. I promise, even if you swear you need meat, you'll love this.


Vegan Moroccan Spiced Spaghetti Squash
Recipe via Eat Drink Better - Serves 4

1 (3 1/2- to 4-pound) spaghetti squash
5 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt (or to taste)
3 tablespoons golden raisins
Half of a 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds (either discard or save to roast later). Brush the inside of the squash with a tablespoon of olive oil. Roast the halves face-down on a baking pan or sheet for 30-40 minutes, until the flesh of the squash is fork-tender and has separated into spaghetti-like strands.

While the squash cooks, heat the remaining oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute. Stir in spices, salt, raisins, and chickpeas and remove from heat.

When the squash is done, remove from oven and let it sit for five minutes, or until it’s cool enough to handle. Using a fork, scrape the squash flesh out of its skin into a bowl, separating the strands as you go. Toss the squash with the spiced oil mixture and cilantro. Serve warm, over quinoa or sautéed winter greens if you like.






1 comment:

Kate said...

My father-in-law grew spaghetti squash in his garden last summer. Can't wait to try this recipe next summer when he grows some more!

Love the new look of your blog!