Monday, November 15, 2010

35. Alfredo a la Husband

This alfredo recipe is the brain child of my husband. This happens to be the first dish he ever cooked for me when we started dating. I was super impressed. Of course, once he bagged the lady, he pretty much stopped cooking.

That is unless it's being smoked on his Traeger, but that just came about this year. Anyway.

I've been sick and was in no mood to leave the house. Cooking gets me excited and I love having something to do, so I made mention of this long lost recipe and asked if he'd let me give it a try. A trip to the grocery store later (by him, not me), I had everything I needed to make us a wonderful dinner.

And damnit, if I didn't forget the bread! We had bread to eat with it and it's still sitting up in the cupboard. I always forget something.


This recipe is a quickie. What took me so long was setting it all out for this first photo. The things I do to myself.

Grab yourself 2 jars of alfredo sauce, 1 box of linguine (or any noodles you'd like to use for that matter), olive oil, 4 roma tomatoes, 1lb (ish) chicken breasts, 4 cloves of garlic, a small can of sliced olives, cheese (this is Italian blend, feel free to use parmesan), and the trusty salt & pepper.


All 3 pans were set out. Water is salted & oiled and put on to boil for the noodles. Sauce is simmering away with a little salt & pepper on top. Chicken has been salt & peppered and placed in a pan with a little olive oil to cook over medium-high heat.

I'm feeling so efficient right now. And maybe even organized (this is the only place in my life I'm remotely organized. Oh, and my yarn bin).

While these little things are cooking away, dice your tomatoes. Cut them in half, squeeze out the seeds and goopy middles (let's avoid watering down the alfredo peeps), and dice 'em up. Then please open your can of olives and drain them.


Brown the chicken on each side, throw on to a cutting board and slice it up.


Add the chicken, 4 pressed cloves of garlic, the diced tomatoes and as many olives as you'd like. I only used half the can because I wanted to eat some of them. Then I realized I would have liked the whole can in there. Cook over medium heat to warm everything through again.

And now I should just learn to wait for dinner to be done, but I'm an instant gratification kind of girl.

When your water boils, add your noodles and cook for the amount of time instructed on the package. All this time your alfredo sauce has been cooking on medium-low heat and is ready for it's job. Drain your pasta, place it back in the pot and pour about 1/3 of the sauce over the noodles just enough to coat them. Then combine.


In a bowl, add your noodles and top with MORE sauce. The noodles soak up the sauce folks, and what fun is that? It means it's sticky and not creamy. Then top with your delicious chicken mixture and sprinkle liberally with cheese.

Wow.


Absolutely delicious. I can't believe my husband thought of this himself.

And honey, if you didn't, don't tell me. Ok? Thanks.


Chicken Alfredo

2 jars alfredo sauce
1 box linguine
4 roma tomatoes
1 small can sliced black olives
4 garlic cloves
1lb chicken breasts
salt & pepper
olive oil
parmesan or italian blend cheese

Salt & pepper chicken on both sides and cook over medium-high heat until browned. Remove from pan and slice.

Cut tomatoes in half, squeeze out seeds and dice. Drain olives. Press 4 cloves of garlic in to the pan the chicken was cooked in. Add chicken, tomatoes and olives, stirring to combine. Cook over medium heat to warm throughly.

Cook sauce and pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta and add about 1/3 of the sauce, tossing to coat noodles. Layer noodles, more sauce, chicken mixture and cheese.

Serve and enjoy!

1 comment:

Mrs. D said...

Looks super yummy! :)