Saturday, March 20, 2010

Renovations: A peek inside what was once chaos

I have my days where I look around the house and I get so overwhelmed with everything there is to be done. I feel like I'm unorganized and my house is in shambles. We started renovating two years ago this May and I just don't know why we can't be finished.

I came across this picture yesterday and was definitely humbled by it. I looked at this, then looked up in to my living room and realized we have so much done around here. Our house is cozy and well maintained. We just may not have a lot of the finish work done yet. It would be wrong of me to not be thankful for everything my husband has helped me bring to light, and all of his hard work.

This picture was taken in September 2007. This was still his house, and the way it looked - blue walls, blue trim, blue couches, brown carpet - this was all here when he bought the house 9 years prior. He had been a bachelor for a long time. And when we saw this picture, I told him I could help him make a difference. And we soon did.

And though there was an in between to this photo and the one before, this is what it looks like today. We live in a cozy, well maintained home that we made together. If I compare the two pictures we replaced the front door, repainted, installed new slate and wood flooring, put up nice linen curtains on the window and replaced our furniture with comfortable leather. Talk about a big difference.


So sometimes when I feel like my house is a mess, or even like life is a mess - I have to take time to think everything over and just be thankful for everything I have. I am so blessed.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Looks great!

It's so hard to be happy with what we have, eh? I'm always going to other people's houses and then thinking "Ugh, my house isn't this nice!"

I should really try to be inspired not depressed by other people's homes!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

It's always nice to have those before pictures - isn't it. We go real slow with the projects of our home.

Amber said...

you look comfy and the house looks great!!