Wednesday, October 20, 2010

33. Smoked Salmon Chowder

I was sent this recipe by a friend. She makes this for her husband and he has nothing but good things to say about it. When my mom handed over the Mimic Creme for me to try, this recipe was the first one I thought of for what was left after the corn chowder.

I couldn't tell you where she got the recipe from. She scanned a cook book of some sort and emailed me the scan. I got off work at 1:00am, didn't have to be in until the next day at 3:00pm and got busy cooking while winding down from the day.


Poor lighting, so I only took two pictures. The mix of veggies in the pot sure were pretty and smelled pretty tasty. This was a super quick and easy recipe that anyone can make successfully.


When it was finished at 2:00am, I quickly ate two huge bowls worth. I was stuffed and happy. Then went promptly to sleep snuggling my two cute pups.


Smoked Salmon Chowder
adapted from my friend B

6 tbsp margerine (or butter)
2 tbsp oil
2 carrots - finely diced
2 stalks celery - finely diced
2 potatoes - cut in to small cubes
1 onion - finely diced
6 tbsp flour
1 - 32oz carton of fish or seafood stock (or clam juice)
3 cups mimic creme (or milk)
1 cup water
2 bay leaves
2 garlic cloves - minced
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp pepper
2 shakes of nutmeg
8 oz smoked salmon - flaked

In a large pot over high heat, combine margerine and oil. When melted, add vegetables and cook until vegetables are softened. About 7-8 minutes.

Pour in stock, milk and water. Increase to medium-high and stir while bringing to a boil. Add garlic and seasonings, then reduce to low to simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered.

Add smoked salmon, stir and simmer for an additional 15 minutes until vegetables are tender.

Serve and enjoy!

2 comments:

Kate said...

Yum! What a great recipe for this time of year!

And I have most of the ingredients in my house already. I may try this later in the week.

Care said...

wow, thaat looks delicious. I feel like I can smell it through the screen. Can you make me some? There is no way I could make that as tasty as it looks. I'd probably burn it somehow.

Yummy!