Thursday, October 21, 2010

34. One Bowl Brownies

My neighbor started on brownies. She had been making cupcakes like crazy until she found out I was banned from them. No sugary treats were allowed to be delivered from her house for two weeks. Her husband has a good memory. I swear exactly two weeks later, he arrived at the door with brownies she had mad.

They tasted like a chocolate cream brownie, but not quite as dense and moist as we like. We've discussed making brownies for the last week, but I just haven't bothered. I've really done nothing more than crochet, cook a few soups and watch endless amounts of Dexter via Netflix.

I was hungry. Well, I'm always hungry. So I immediately got on to Tasty Kitchen and looked for an enticing brown recipe. I found exactly what I was looking for and promptly made it.


Add eggs, sugar, oil, flour, cocoa, salt, vanilla and baking powder. Mix until just combined.

Scrape the edges of the bowl and give it a brief mix again.

Pour in to a greased 9x9 baking pan, or in my case a muffin pan. I threw out my 9x9, so this was the best I could do. I also filled them a little too much and only ended up with 10. But then you have brownies almost the size of cupcakes, and we all know I love cupcakes!

In a separate bowl if you so please (I do), combine powdered sugar, chocolate chips and chopped nuts of your choice.

Top your batter and pop in to an oven heated to 350 degrees. If using a 9x9 pan, bake 30-35 minutes. If using a muffin pan, listen to your husband when he says they smell done. So perhaps cook 20-25 minutes. Check with a toothpick and they're done when the stick comes out clean. The less you cook them, the more moist they are. I've learned this. Sometimes I hate telling him he's right.

Pull them out of the oven and run a knife along the outside edge to loosen them up. I plopped one on a plate and drizzled it with the Starbucks Caramel Sauce my mom gave to me in my fall care package.

Cute and delicious!


One Bowl Brownies
adapted from Tasty Kitchen

2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup flour
4 tbsp cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup nuts
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Combine the first 8 ingredients in a bowl. Mix until just combined. Scrape sides of the bowl and mix again briefly. Pour into greased 9x9 baking pan (or muffin pan).

Mix together last 3 ingredients and sprinkle on top of the brownie batter, covering evenly. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes (20-25 for muffin pan). Test centers with a toothpick, done when it comes out clean.

Serve hot from the oven or after cooling. Either way, they're delish! Enjoy!

No comments: