Monday, May 31, 2010

23. Smoked Salmon & Cream Cheese Omelette

I don't know how many times I've made this omelette since Mother's Day. It was the second part to our brunch that day, and it was incredible.

Not only is it incredible, but it's easy. I love eggs. I love smoked salmon. And I especially love cream cheese. Too bad I'm allergic to cream cheese. Lame, I know.

The most surprising part of the whole recipe was finding that I loved it after making it dairy free. We used soy milk instead of cream and tofu cream cheese instead of real cream cheese. My milk friendly family memebers even liked it, but I don't know if we told them before or after they ate it. Sneaky, I know.


Fun Fact of the Day (have I mentioned this before?): I'm allergic to dairy. Not lactose intolerant, just allergic. To what we believe after 20+ years of confusion to be a protein called casein. I've tried a whey protein on it's own with no problems, but anything with casein gives me a headache, sore throat and makes me super congested. It's only continued to get worse as I've gotten older, like an instant headache even from butter, as to when I was younger things like butter and cheese had no effect. Milk (which I think tastes horrible), yogurt, ice cream, cream cheese and sour cream have always been terrible. If I over indulge, I should always expect a terrible cold, strep throat or a sinus infection. Lame.


I found this recipe after we started watching the Food Network religiously after work every morning. Tyler's Ultimate is my new favorite show. I thought he was weird at first, but he won me over with his amazing food and amazing kitchen. Who wouldn't want that awesomely green tiled kitchen?


All you need are a few eggs, cream, cream cheese, smoked salmon, green onions, salt & pepper. Most people probably already have these on hand, except maybe smoked salmon. That probably makes me weird.


This recipe is a test of patience. You have to cook the eggs slow and steady to avoid any browning. You want it cooked, but not brown. Have you ever noticed that when eggs end up with the tiniest bit of brown, they taste weird? Almost burnt? Maybe I'm just sensitive to burnt food. Yeah, I'm probably weird.



8 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/3 pound smoked salmon, torn into large piece
1 cup cream cheese, room temperature
4 green onions, finely chopped, garnish
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper


Directions

Whisk eggs and heavy cream together in a large mixing bowl.

Take a large nonstick pan and set over medium heat. When the pan is heated add the butter and spread out evenly over the surface of the pan. Once it starts to foam turn the heat down and add eggs. Using a spatula swirl the eggs quickly in a circular motion as you gently shake the pan back and forth to cook evenly, you don't want any color.

Once the eggs begin to set, drop the pieces of salmon, small spoonfuls of cream cheese, and green onions over the top. Season with salt and pepper, then as you slide it out onto your cutting board, roll 1 side over the top as you go to form an omelette.

Slice crosswise into portions and serve.


Happy cooking everyone!

1 comment:

Kayla said...

Wow. I am so glad I found your blog. My mouth is watering and I know exactly what to cook tomorrow.

http://ramblingofasmalltowngirl.blogspot.com/